There are everyday things you use and do around the home that easily contribute to a clogged drain. Put a stop to the madness with knowledge and insight. Here are the top seven culprits of drain clogs.
- Hygiene products. Feminine products are a plumbing system's worst enemy and a clog's best friend. However, there is a simple workaround that will help you avoid these clogs: Never flush feminine hygiene products down the toilet.
- Cotton swabs. This non-porous material will absorb water and maintain its shape, blocking the flow of water into pipes. Toss these into the garbage instead of the toilet.
- Grease. The drain may seem like a great place to toss old grease— but it's not. Once liquid grease gets in the drain, it hardens up— creating a blockage. Let the grease cool and then toss it into the garbage instead.
- Coffee grounds. Coffee grounds act like cement when inside your pipes. You wouldn't pour cement down your pipes, so you shouldn't pour coffee grounds into your system either.
- Hair. Even short hair can cause serious problems in pipes. The hair wraps itself around soap scum and other debris, only to form a large blob of disgusting junk. When in the shower or tub, it's difficult to prevent all hairs from going down the drain. However, every time you stop a hair from swirling down the plumbing pipe, your chances of experiencing a clog lessen.
- Tree roots. Older homes' plumbing systems are often susceptible to tree roots. These tree roots can infiltrate delicate pipes and create clogs. Use a plumber with a drain camera. This will help you better identify problematic areas. Certified plumbers can also use special tools to rid the inside of the pipes of tree roots.
- Soap scum. Over time, soap residue clings to the pipe walls that lead to every shower or bath. There's not much you can do to prevent the accumulation of soap scum— except to ensure that you maintain your plumbing pipes. Have a plumber come out every couple of years to thoroughly clear out the home's pipes.
Atlanta's Drain Cleaning Experts
Use common sense when it comes to your plumbing system. Treat it right and it will last for a long time. If you'd like help with a clogged drain, feel free to give Ragsdale a call. Our dependable plumbers are in your area and ready to help now!